The Old St Patrick’s Curch
Today’s St Patrick’s School Hall used to be the old church.
The mission at Plumstead was founded in 1890 when Bishop John Butt commissioned Fr Thomas Whelahan who was the parish priest from 1890 to 1900 to establish a church and school. He organised the founding of St. Patrick’s Church and School in 1893. August 1893 saw the opening of the new Church in Conway Rd (above).
The church was built to serve the Catholic community of Plumstead. It was a growing community made up for the most part by Irish immigrants who had arrived in south-east London in search of work at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich.